Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4 2012

You know I am not one to usually weigh in publicly on political issues.  But lately I have been doing some thinking on things.  You see America is going a direction I am not sure I want it to go.  I know a lot of folks do not agree with me, but it has a feeling as if hope is lost.  While speaking to a local in my home town he told me this story about the Borgstrom Brothers.  It is this communities very own "Private Ryan Scenario".  I have not frequented downtown very often but he informed me the square had a memorial to them.  Well while driving home last night I thought I would check it out.  This is the image I captured.


The plaques that is to the left in the photo tells their story.   Between March and August 1944 they lost 4 of their sons Clyde was killed March 17 1944 on Guadalcanal.  Leroy was killed on Anzio Beachhead June 22 1944.  Rolon was shot down over Germany August 8 1944.  Rulon his twin was killed August 25 1944 in the D-Day offensive.  Boyd the fifth brother was furloughed out of harms way and the sixth brother was too young to be drafted.  But these following words give me the hope I need.  His father was heard to say "When his country needs him he will go"  As the plaque says "Here was the personification of Americanism"

If a family can suffer this kind of loss and still be willing to sacrifice more for this great country then there is hope.  I thank all veterans living and dead for their willingness to sacrifice that I may enjoy the freedoms I have today.  Happy fourth of July all.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said...it's so easy to take what we have for granted!

    ReplyDelete